ICECREAM

Sundays are meant for socializing, at least for me. On one hot day I decided to visit one of my old colleague, Ashok. We worked together for a co. sometime back. Now he is serving in some other co. and I have some other co. to work for.

It was more of a informal meeting as Ashok invited me to his home which he had bought recently and he respected me as his elder brother, so the affection.

I was there at his home, we were chatting for a while, I noticed that his wife was very much interested in showing off her artifacts and antiques she had purchased alongwith her husband on vacations in India and abroad. I call these vacations as shopping sprees rather than a holiday, holiday is meant to unwind oneself from the stress and rejuvenate to enter into the routine with a new enthusiasm. However most of the time these vacations are meant to accumulate unnecessary stuff like antiques (which are usually manufactured and given the look of one), clothes, artificial jewelery, etc. It seemed that Ashok's wife was trying to establish the fact that her family was more affluent than mine and somehow over the period of time Ashok has grown more intelligent and was earning more than he was earning when he was my subordinate. I was very much aware of Ashok's mental ability and as a matter of fact, it was my 'push' that landed him in his present job. I never try to make people remember what I have done for them. Ashok always felt indebted to me for the help he got to get into this job, his 'Sir' was always there, whenever he tried to offer me something on the dining table, but I was 'Manoj' for his wife and Ashok glanced twice at his wife but she didnt understand or was not willing to... Somehow we were again in the lounge watching some interesting scientific series on Discovery when Ashok's wife came with ice-cream. Ashok knew that I liked some sort of meetha after food.

You know Manoj, Chanchal (Ashok's 3 yr old daughter) likes Sundaes more than any other flavour, Ashok likes American Nuts but I like Butterscotch cone, nothing else. The chatterbox didnt stop, but it was unbearable for me as she was directly talking to me. Previously when she was talking to my wife I treated it as women talk and thought it was for the sake. When the thing grew I left the platter and was ready to leave, Ashok understood my behaviour. I used to get out of the place whenever I felt uncomfortable without uttering a word, Ashok knew it. Ashok's wife took it as our leave and accompanied us with Ashok to the entrance gate of their newly bought house. My car was parked a bit away from his house as we were to figure out Ashok's house when we arrived in the colony, a bit confused and finally called Ashok, he came and we left the car and walked to his place hardly 5-6 houses ahead where we stopped.

I unlocked my car and drove to the main gate where my wife and Ashok's were talking their last, this evening. Ashok, thanks for the dinner, I said. Sir phir aaiyega (please visit again), Ashok uttered, he knew that the evening might have ended better.

My wife was silent as she knew I was not comfortable, half way she said Ashok's wife was feeling bad as Ashok didnt spare much to get a new car like ours because of the child's expense, the house's EMI, etc. etc. I glanced and my wife was silent.

This Sunday I went to my current co.s colleague's place. He had got married recently and I was out of place on the day so it was more like visiting him to make the deficit. I left my shoes on the door and went in, Sir please aise hi aajaiye, aapki charn dhuli padegi to mera bhi kuch kalyan ho jaye. (please donot leave your shoes outside, may the dust come in to bring me luck). I always insisted Govind, dont talk sales everytime and everyplace. He laughed away, it was a carefree gesture. Govind introduced his wife and his mother, father and sister. Govind's wife was clad in ghoonghat (veil), she paid her regards as namaste and hurriedly went in her room. I didnt hear a word from her, she was more shy, I hadn't seen anyone more shy than her. Govind's sister acoompanied my wife to the newly wed's room.

We were in the baithak (drawing room). Govind was sitting with his legs crossed on the small bed laid down there. Govind's father and I was sitting on muddhas (comfortable chairs made of cane). After some formal talking Govind went inside, her mother must have called him. When he came out he asked, what shall I prefer to have tea, coffee or some cold drinks. I insisted that with this weather, tea and coffee never blend, cold drinks contained pesticides. He laughed and went in the kitchen again, after few minutes, he came out with chachh, I couldnt say no, I must say I never enjoyed chachh other than my mother's, but this time it was made equally good.

Govind's father retired from State Govt service. He was serving as UDC. We started talking, after a while I inquired which department he served and what was his place of posting and other details. Sharmaji (Govind's father) started narrating his experiences. He called me 'Sir', I insisted Govind shall call me Sir not you. Somehow after 2-3 instances he said Manojji. I was interacting with him as I knew him since ages. After about half an hour Govind's mother asked whether I should like something to eat. I was reluctant, but Sharmaji insisted, Govind came up with an idea. Sir, in this hot afternoon, how about a watermelon. He got one from his fridge and now I was sitting crosslegged on the bed in the baithak with a plate of fresh watermelon in front of me. Govind's mother served us with freshly cut melon with some rock salt sprinkled on it. Govind said somewhat nervously we do not have forks, I said God has given us five fingers to eat and I was happy with my hands, I enjoyed the melon heartily. I heard my wife and Govind's sister chatting but I didnt hear Govind's wife. They were also enjoying the melon.

After finishing the melon and chatting for some twenty minutes, I called my wife to go. My wife had a huge smile on her face. All the family members came out to say goodbye. Govind insisted that we should have stopped for the dinner, his mother said its already seven and wont take more than an hour, but my wife excused us saying that our child will start asking where is papa and mummy. We left, after almost three hours at Govind's place, I didnt remember so much time spent at someone's place after my college.

Way home my wife said, how was the ice-cream. I said 'to my heart's content'.

Comments

Popular Posts